Nutrition: Understanding Nutritional Claims Chapter 1
- What are Nutritional Claims? (VIDEO)
- Understanding Nutritional Claims
- All Natural: Less is More?
- What is Organic? (VIDEO)
- Organic: Is It Better?
- What Makes a Food Whole?
- Functional Foods (VIDEO)
- What Makes a Functional Food?
- Antioxidants are Heroes
- Adding Nutrients to Nature
- How Much Fat? Low Fat, Light & Fat Free
- Be a Label Detective!
- Good Choices, Healthy Balance
What are Nutritional Claims? (VIDEO)
Since 1994, the Nutrition Facts panel has appeared on packaged foods to help consumers make healthy choices. But being provided information about nutritional content is only one step toward establishing and maintaining a wholesome diet. A smart consumer also knows how to balance nutrient intake properly — and how to navigate the sometimes misleading claims used by food manufacturers to categorize and promote their products.
- The chapter listing at the left shows the range of subtopics that we will explore in this health center.
- The key visualizations from each chapter appear in our carousel of small pictures, above. Clicking on each one will enlarge it so you can view the content for the related chapter.
- On the main images, buttons may launch short videos, graphics and interactive features.
- Also, rolling over the red arrows on the images reveals more interactive content.
- Finally, the photos, graphics and icons in the text labeled “Read More” link to additional content and interactive experiences. Click away!
We hope you find all of “The 9 Visual Rules of Wellness” to be informative and compelling.
UNDERSTANDING NUTRITIONAL CLAIMS VIDEOS
CHAPTER 1 (currently viewing)
What are Nutritional Claims?Since 1994, the Nutrition Facts panel has appeared on packaged foods to help consumers make healthy choices.
What is Organic?According to the USDA, "Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals..."
Functional FoodsFunctional foods are specific foods that are believed to deliver a health-promoting or disease-preventing benefit...
theVisualMD Wishes to Thank our Scientific Collaborators:
The material on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. It should not be used to diagnose or treat any medical condition. Consult a licensed medical professional for the diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions and before starting a new diet or exercise program. If you have a medical emergency, call 911 immediately.