Embrace Joy Chapter 1
- Embrace Joy (VIDEO)
- What Is Joy?
- The Biology of Joy (VIDEO)
- Joy & Your Brain
- Born Joyful or Raised Joyful?
- The Joy of Motherhood (VIDEO)
- A Mother's Love
- Maternal bond
- Ecstasy & Intimacy
- Joy and Relationships (VIDEO)
- Love & Marriage
- Community & Compassion
- Job Satisfaction
- Mindful Awareness and Faith
- Who Has Joy?
- Follow Your Bliss
- Joy & Longevity (VIDEO)
- Long Happy Life
Embrace Joy (VIDEO)
Positive emotions, smiling and laughter boost our health and longevity.
Taking time to laugh, share closeness with those we love and express our joy at life’s pleasures improves our health. Researchers are discovering connections between our well-being and longevity, reduced risk of major illnesses our immune strength. But does anyone really need to be convinced that expressing joy and happiness is an inherently positive thing? We all feel better when we slow down and savor the best things in life.
In this wellness center, you will see visualizations showing how joyful interactions benefit your brain, especially its memory and learning centers, as well as your cardiovascular health and immune function. Use these special features to get the most out this wellness center:
- The chapter listing at the left shows the range of subtopics that we will explore in this health center.
- The key visualizations from each chapter appear in our carousel of small pictures, above. Clicking on each one will enlarge it so you can view the content for the related chapter.
- On the main images, buttons may launch short videos, graphics and interactive features.
- A feature called "Take Three Steps" in some chapters gives you three simple actions to take in order to begin improving your well-being right away.
- Also, rolling over the red arrows on the images reveals more interactive content.
- Finally, the photos, graphics and icons in the text labeled “Read More” link to additional content and interactive experiences. Click away!
We hope you find all of “The 9 Visual Rules of Wellness” to be informative and compelling.
The Power of Embracing Joy
The emotions and mental states that cause stress are responsible for physiological damage that threatens our health. Fear, anger, and sadness cause biochemical and physical changes that threaten our cardiovascular health, immunity and quality of life. Mark Liponis, M.D., Corporate Medical Director of Canyon Ranch, explains that we can minimize the effects of those feelings by finding joy. Just a heartfelt laugh or a smile can cause a surge of serotonin that resets our biochemistry and puts us on a better pathway for health.
EMBRACE JOY VIDEOS
CHAPTER 1 (currently viewing)
The Power of Embracing JoySharing a smile or laugh benefits health by countering the physiologic effects of stress.
The Biology of JoyA growing body of research shows that our positive emotions boost our health and longevity.
The Joy of MotherhoodThe first moments of connection between a mother and baby ensure a strong, nurturing relationship.
Joy & RelationshipsRelationships are the foundation of every aspect of our lives—longevity, health, wisdom and happiness.
A Long, Joyful LifeWhen people have a clear purpose and take pleasure in life's many joys, they tend to live longer.
theVisualMD Wishes to Thank our Scientific Collaborators:
- Deepak Chopra, MD
- Audrey Chun, MD - Geriatrician Medical Director
Martha Stewart Center for Living Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
- Tereza Hubkova, MD
Canyon Ranch, Lenox, MA
- Mark Liponis, MD
Corporate Medical Director, Canyon Ranch
- Daniel J. Siegel, MD
Interpersonal Neurobiologist UCLA School of Medicine/Mindsight Institute
The material on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. It should not be used to diagnose or treat any medical condition. Consult a licensed medical professional for the diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions and before starting a new diet or exercise program. If you have a medical emergency, call 911 immediately.