Baseline Your Health Chapter 16
- Baseline Your Health (VIDEO)
- Baseline Your Health
- Your Biomarkers Small & Large
- Your Doctor's Visit (VIDEO)
- Your Physical Biomarkers
- A Healthy Conversation
- Your Laboratory Exams, Your Lab Biomarkers
- Complete Blood Count, and Baselining Your Health (VIDEO)
- River of Life: Blood Sustains & Protects
- Lipids, Heart Health and Baselining Your Health (VIDEO)
- The Heart of the Matter: Dietary Fat & Vessel Health
- All Charged Up: Electrolytes & Vitality
- Detox & Digest: Your Busy Liver
- Blood Glucose and Baselining Your Health (VIDEO)
- Food Into Fuel: The Multi-tasking Pancreas
- Vitamin D and Baselining Your Health (VIDEO)
- Your Biggest Supporters: Healthy Bones
- Your Kidneys: Not Just A Waste Disposal Team
- Sexual Health
- Setting the Pace: Thyroid & Metabolism
- In Defense of You: Your Immune System
- Monitoring Disease: What Cells Tell Us
- Reading Your Mind: The Future of Brain Imaging
- Mapping Your Future: Screening for Disease Risk
- Baseline Trends
- After Your Visit
Vitamin D and Baselining Your Health
Vitamin D has long been linked to bone health; when researchers discovered that rickets was caused by a deficiency of the vitamin, public health experts urged the fortification of this staple with vitamin D, which made milk, already naturally rich in calcium, virtually synonymous with bone health. More recently, however, researchers are finding more evidence that vitamin D is a critical nutrient; it is also essential for muscle, nerve and immune system function and may play roles in cancer, dementia and depression. Vitamin D is also produced by skin cells, in the presence of sunlight, though our ability to manufacture the vitamin declines with age. Different forms of vitamin D can be measured in the blood (including active versions and inactive precursors); testing is likely to increase as research reveals the importance of the vitamin to overall health.
BASELINE YOUR HEALTH VIDEOS
Baseline Your HealthWhen it comes to our wellness journeys, it is true that we all start from a different place...
Your Doctor's VisitA physical exam helps a doctor take the measure of your health. Current concerns are addressed and problems spotted...
Complete Blood Count, and Baselining Your HealthOur lifeblood is a complex fluid and a complete blood count (CBC) measures the fundamentals...
Lipids, Heart Health and Baselining Your HealthWhat individuals eat is reflected in their blood chemistry and the health of their cardiovascular system...
Blood Glucose and Baselining Your HealthBlood glucose levels naturally fluctuate, but insulin from a healthy pancreas keeps levels within a narrow range...
CHAPTER 16 (currently viewing)
Vitamin D and Baselining Your HealthVitamin D is essential to bone health, but it may also be important for muscle, nerve and immune system function and may play...
theVisualMD Wishes to Thank our Scientific Collaborators:
- Michael J. Stein, MD, FACR
Chief Medical Director at TheVisualMD.com Professor of Medicine and Community Health Butler Hospital/Brown University
- Canyon Ranch, Lenox MA
- University Medicine, Providence, RI
- Nichols Institute
- 55 Kip Center Rutherford, NJ
- Martha Stewart Center For Living
Mount Sinai Medical Center New York, NY
The material on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. It should not be used to diagnose or treat any medical condition. Consult a licensed medical professional for the diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions and before starting a new diet or exercise program. If you have a medical emergency, call 911 immediately.