Baseline Your Health Chapter 8
- Baseline Your Health (VIDEO)
- Baseline Your Health
- Your Biomarkers Small & Large
- Your Doctor's Visit (VIDEO)
- Your Physical Biomarkers
- A Healthy Conversation
- Your Laboratory Exams, Your Lab Biomarkers
- Complete Blood Count, and Baselining Your Health (VIDEO)
- River of Life: Blood Sustains & Protects
- Lipids, Heart Health and Baselining Your Health (VIDEO)
- The Heart of the Matter: Dietary Fat & Vessel Health
- All Charged Up: Electrolytes & Vitality
- Detox & Digest: Your Busy Liver
- Blood Glucose and Baselining Your Health (VIDEO)
- Food Into Fuel: The Multi-tasking Pancreas
- Vitamin D and Baselining Your Health (VIDEO)
- Your Biggest Supporters: Healthy Bones
- Your Kidneys: Not Just A Waste Disposal Team
- Sexual Health
- Setting the Pace: Thyroid & Metabolism
- In Defense of You: Your Immune System
- Monitoring Disease: What Cells Tell Us
- Reading Your Mind: The Future of Brain Imaging
- Mapping Your Future: Screening for Disease Risk
- Baseline Trends
- After Your Visit
Complete Blood Count, and Baselining Your Health
Our lifeblood consists of many components and a complete blood count (CBC) includes measurements of the fundamental elements. The largest categories are red and white blood cells (RBCs and WBCs) and cell fragments called platelets, which play roles in blood clotting. There are 20-30 trillion red blood cells in the body of an adult, each with a lifespan of about 100 days (RBCs contain an iron-containing protein called hemoglobin that enables them to carry oxygen to tissues throughout the body and then return carbon dioxide to the lungs). WBCs are in the front lines in the body’s ongoing fight against harmful viruses, bacteria and even fungus; when a pathogen enters the body, WBCs mobilize in a coordinated defense response to eliminate, neutralize or mark the invader for destruction. The liquid portion of blood is called plasma and it carries nutrients, electrolytes, waste products, and hormones.
BASELINE YOUR HEALTH VIDEOS
Baseline Your HealthWhen it comes to our wellness journeys, it is true that we all start from a different place...
Your Doctor's VisitA physical exam helps a doctor take the measure of your health. Current concerns are addressed and problems spotted...
CHAPTER 8 (currently viewing)
Complete Blood Count, and Baselining Your HealthOur lifeblood is a complex fluid and a complete blood count (CBC) measures the fundamentals...
Lipids, Heart Health and Baselining Your HealthWhat individuals eat is reflected in their blood chemistry and the health of their cardiovascular system...
Blood Glucose and Baselining Your HealthBlood glucose levels naturally fluctuate, but insulin from a healthy pancreas keeps levels within a narrow range...
Vitamin D and Baselining Your HealthVitamin D is essential to bone health, but it may also be important for muscle, nerve and immune system function and may play...
theVisualMD Wishes to Thank our Scientific Collaborators:
- Michael J. Stein, MD, FACR
Chief Medical Director at TheVisualMD.com Professor of Medicine and Community Health Butler Hospital/Brown University
- Canyon Ranch, Lenox MA
- University Medicine, Providence, RI
- Nichols Institute
- 55 Kip Center Rutherford, NJ
- Martha Stewart Center For Living
Mount Sinai Medical Center New York, NY
The material on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. It should not be used to diagnose or treat any medical condition. Consult a licensed medical professional for the diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions and before starting a new diet or exercise program. If you have a medical emergency, call 911 immediately.